Friday, August 26, 2011

The Watercolor Purists "Taboo" Against using Black Paint

When I first began to paint with watercolors in middle school in a Parks and Rec class...my watercolor teacher said...we don't EVER use black...we mix our natural "black" paint in watercolor.

In high school and college, using black paint in watercolor was strongly frowned upon. As a professional Art Educator in the Secondary system, my coworkers actaully tossed their black paint in the trash can before their wide eyed art students ever painted with watercolor paints.

Me?...I encouraged my students to use black paint...heck...I used black paint. I enjoyed the mood of it, the contrast that I could never get with a "natural" black. The same way that "Casablanca" or "The Corpse Bride" would never be the same in a bright cheery bubble gum pink, Carribean blue or parrot yellow color. I break watercolor "taboos" in my artwork. It may shock some artists out there, but don't worry! I give you permission to use black too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment