Friday, August 26, 2011

Background and Influences

I began drawing when I was 5 years old...I would draw everywhere when I was little: in church, in a dealership with my mom, at a relatives house, on the porch when other kids were playing outside...I was hooked.

I received my B.A. in Art with an Emphasis in Art Education and have Secondary Single Subject Credential in Art with a CLAD emphasis from San Jose State University. The last 12 years of my life have been dedicated to teaching art to high school students. It has been a wonderful run that ended at the end of this 2010 school year.
"Urban Garden Mural Project" Grant Union High School: Sacramento, CA 2010.
http://www.twinriversusd.org/newsroom/spotlight/?q=26 
I also have always "moonlighted" as an artist for various commissions. Not too proud to turn any request down [within reason], I would do portraits here, reference paintings there. However, I always hungered for a chance to completely devote myself to my OWN style. Of course, as any art historian will tell you, there is nothing "new" and my influences may be very obvious to some. From now on, as a professional artist, I am committed to my own style, come starving artist or not. Love my work, hate my work, but--it's MY own work. No one ever paid Matisse to paint like Renoir. I will paint like Farinsky.
My little "art studio" and wall of inspiration.
My day job, taking care of Darth Vader and Iron Man. They are actually very sweet.
A wonderful opportunity of being a stay-at-home-mom has arrived and, in turn, the opportunity to concentrate on my own work. Art teachers seldom have the time to develop there own craft, especially if they are working full time and parenting young children. There are no accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment